Dr. James M. Lopes
Dr. James Lopes is a board certified general surgeon with specialty training in bariatric surgery and advanced minimally invasive surgery.
Dr Lopes offers a full range of bariatric weight loss surgery options including Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and adjustable gastric banding- all performed with Laparoscopic or ” key hole” surgery. Dr. Lopes believes that taking care of his patients is a privilege and it is important to work with them to find the best possible treatment for their problems. He focuses on developing a full weight loss program while utilizing a comprehensive bariatric team approach to treat his patients for the best results and to minimize their postoperative pain through small incision surgery.
All of Dr. Lopes’ patients are carefully assessed to see if weight loss surgery is the right decision for them. In addition to the bariatric surgeries, Dr Lopes also offers a wide range of minimally invasive esophageal, diaphragmatic, and hernia repair surgeries.
Dr. Lopes is a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), American Medical Association (AMA), American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), and an associate member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
- Undergraduate: Yale University
- Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Categorical General Surgery Residency:
Indiana University and University of Maryland
- Fellowship: University of Florida
- American Board of Surgery, Board Certified
- Basic and Advanced Life Support
- Advanced Trauma Life Support
- A standardized approach to minimally invasive transhiatal esophagectomy. Lopes, J., Hochwald, S. and Ben-David, K. Presented at Digestive Disease Week 2010.
- Laparoscopic resection of a Pancreatic head gastrinoma in MEN-1. Lopes, J, Hochwald, S. and Ben-David, K. Submitted to American College of Surgeons