Realize® Band New Jersey
The Realize® Band is the trade name for the gastric banding system offered by Ethicon Endo-Surgery, a division of Johnson & Johnson. The Realize® Band works much in the same way as its competing gastric banding system, the Lap-Band®, and presents many of the same benefits, results and risks. The gastric banding family, of which the Realize® Band is a part, is the second most common bariatric procedure performed in United States. It is the least invasive of the three major bariatric surgery procedures.
The Realize® Band is placed using minimally invasive techniques. By using only five small incisions we are able to access the surgical field viewed using a high-definition camera called a laparoscope. The Realize® Band is placed at the top of the stomach and tightened to form two interconnected gastric chambers. The upper stomach chamber becomes the primary reservoir for the food the patient consumes. Because of the upper chamber’s small size, the patient now becomes full faster. Food slowly passes through the narrow opening at the top of the stomach (created by the band) into the lower stomach chamber and is then digested as normal. The band does not require any modification or cutting of stomach or small intestine. The minimally invasive nature of the procedure means a shorter recovery time and less chance of blood loss, pain and infection after surgery.
Realize® Band patients may go home on the evening of surgery, but are more likely to stay in hospital for one night as they are observed for possible complications. Banding patients can usually return to work within a week or two and resume normal activity within 3 to 4 weeks, though they should not lift heavy items or perform strenuous activity until cleared by our office.
Benefits of the Realize® Band
- The band does not require any cutting or modification of the stomach or small intestine.
- The band can be adjusted and even reversed in cases of need.
- The band can be performed on an outpatient basis or have a relatively shorter recovery time when compared to the bypass or sleeve.
- Patients may lose a significant amount of weight – up to 55% of their excess body weight.
- Many of the diseases associated with obesity are significantly improved or resolved within the first weeks or months after surgery.
Risks and Considerations of the Realize® Band
- The band does not provide as significant potential weight loss as staple-based procedures such as bypass and sleeve.
- The Realize® Band requires that a medical device be implanted in the abdomen.
- There are inherent risks associated with any surgical procedure, and more specifically abdominal and bariatric surgery, which should be discussed with your surgeon.
- In cases where the patient requires the band to be removed, most patients will regain most or all of the weight that they lost as a result of surgery.
- The band requires a greater level of follow-up versus stapled procedures.
- The band can slip or erode, requiring a revisional surgery.
Other Bariatric Procedures: